Former Chairman John Denham quit the role on the 28th June after he was offered a place in Gordon Brown’s ministerial office as Secretary of State for Innovation, Universities and Skills.
Keith Vaz has been MP for Leicester East since June 1987 and a member of the Constitutional Affairs Select Committee since 2003. A pro-European, Vaz strongly supported the war in Iraq and is in favour of compulsory ID cards.
Before taking on the role, Mr Vaz had to declare his interests as required by the Resolution of the House of 13 July 1992.
Vaz, the first-ever Asian minister in the Commons, confirmed that he was a non-practising barrister, and that his wife was a solicitor and part-time judge.
- Find out how you can generate revenue from Home Automation - a new service to provide your customers - make sense of it at IFSEC
- Learn about the changes in technology - IP, IT, IoT - find out what it is all about and how it can benefit you
- Listen to the issues end-users are facing with the industry and understand how you can provide solutions
- Stay competitive - advance your skills with free training sessions provided by Tavcom Training
- Test the latest gadgets and network with your peers in the Installer Zone - your dedicated area of the show