Chubb Fire Offshore has serviced hundreds of fire extinguishers at one of the world’s largest offshore wind farms, under construction off the Suffolk coast.
|Chubb Fire Offshore provides fire extinguishers|
Scottish and Southern Energy (SSE) is developing the wind farm in a joint venture with RWE npower renewables. The project involves the installation of 144 Siemens 3.6MW wind turbines located around two sand banks known as Inner Gabbard and The Galloper in the North Sea, near Greater Gabbard.
A total of three Chubb extinguishers, made up of a combination of dry powder and CO2, have been installed on each of the project’s 144 foundation monopiles.
James Moran, engineering support for SSE said: “Fire extinguishers form an important part of our safety,” he said.
“Chubb has a reputation for innovation and is one of the few fire safety providers to work to specific offshore regulations – we have not been disappointed with the work carried out.”
The first turbines have been commissioned, and the first export of electricity will shortly take place. The entire wind farm is scheduled to be completed in 2012.
John Newton, branch manager, Chubb Fire Aberdeen, saidoffshore energy production is a field in which Chubb has many years of experience. “Wind farms, like oil rigs, need expert fire systems in place to ensure the safety of staff, the surroundings and the equipment,” he said. “Extinguishers form one of the first lines of defence against the threat of fire.”
- Find out how you can generate revenue from Home Automation - a new service to provide your customers - make sense of it at IFSEC
- Learn about the changes in technology - IP, IT, IoT - find out what it is all about and how it can benefit you
- Listen to the issues end-users are facing with the industry and understand how you can provide solutions
- Stay competitive - advance your skills with free training sessions provided by Tavcom Training
- Test the latest gadgets and network with your peers in the Installer Zone - your dedicated area of the show